Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Enchantment of Poetry

Lately, I've been fascinated by poetry.
We've been studying many poems in my English 102 class at TMCC, and I guess this has sparked an interest in me. I have always been somewhat interested in poetry, but my teachers always tried too hard to beat it into me and make me write it. This year, however, my English teaching is beating poetry into me harder and faster than ever before, but for some reason I am enjoying it more this rime around. Maybe it is because we are simply dissecting poetry that famous poets have written and I do not have to write my own poetry. I have written many poems in the past, and I am revisiting and critiquing them, but I am still very proud of myself for writing them. They are actually really good, I think. Though, I still do not greatly enjoy writing poetry. But I appreciate poets who do and emerge with beautiful, effective poems which have an insightful, discernible theme about humanity or the world. Some poems annoy me because I cannot figure them out, but I love the feeling I get when I actually can figure out a poem and what each stanza, line, and word means.
I am enthralled by a poem's ability to succinctly express significant meanings in such a creative and attractive way.
This explains why I've been posting a lot about poetry lately, and surely there will be more to come as I dig up old poems I wrote or study more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment